Febuxostat (Febutop 80) 80 mg is a xanthine oxidase (XO) inhibitor indicated in patients with gout suffering from hyperuricemia to lower the high levels of uric acid in the body. The build-up of uric acid in the body can cause gout, gouty arthritis, kidney or urinary tract stones.
Number of Pills Per Order = 10
Strength = 80 mg
Manufacturer = Healing Pharma
How To Take
Febuxostat must be taken regularly for it to be effective and must be taken with meals. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take Febuxostat precisely as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Dosage of Febuxostat (Febutop 80) 80 mg
Adult: Chronic hyperuricemia with gout: Initial: 40 mg/day. If serum uric acid >6 mg/dL after two weeks increases, dose to 80 mg/day; may be further increased to 120 mg/day.
Cancer therapy-induced hyperuricemia in patients with intermediate to high risk of tumor lysis syndrome: 120 mg/day starting two days before the beginning of cytotoxic therapy and continued for 7-9 days based on chemotherapy duration.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular dosing schedule. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
Overdose of Febuxostat (Febutop 80) 80 mg
If you think you may have used Febuxostat more than the usual dose, please immediately seek medical help.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Febuxostat:
- Concomitant use of azathioprine or mercaptopurine
Febuxostat may have the following side effects:
- Gout flares
- Xanthine deposition
- Liver function test abnormalities
- Increased thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Chest pain and discomfort
- Atrial fibrillation
- Left bundle branch block
- Sinus tachycardia
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain and distension
- Altered taste
- ECG abnormalities
- Weight gain
- Diabetes mellitus
- Decreased appetite
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle spasm
- Muscle tightness
- Renal failure
- Decreased libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Skin discoloration
- Skin lesion
- Hot flush
- Heart attack
- Cardiovascular death
- Hepatic failure
- Rarely, hypersensitivity reactions (e.g., Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, acute anaphylactic shock, drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms).
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking or using any of these medicines:
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements, and non-prescription medicines.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Febuxostat.
How Does Febuxostat (Febutop 80) 80 mg Work?
Febuxostat is a non-purine selective xanthine oxidase inhibitor. Xanthine oxidase is the enzyme needed to catalyze the conversion of hypoxanthine to xanthine to uric acid, resulting in a decreased serum concentration of uric acid.
Febuxostat is used to treat the following conditions:
- Chronic hyperuricemia with gout
- Cancer therapy-induced hyperuricemia in patients with intermediate to high risk of tumor lysis syndrome.
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patient with ischemic heart disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Gout flares
- Lesch-Nyhan syndrome
- Organ transplant
- Altered thyroid function
- History of hypersensitivity reaction to allopurinol
- Hepatic and severe renal impairment
- Pregnancy and lactation
To prevent future gout attacks, it is essential to be mindful of your diet:
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake. Maintain adequate hydration.
- Avoid foods high in purine, such as organ meat, seafood, and oily fish—other foods with purine content, such as meat, poultry, fish, maybe eaten in moderation.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet low in highly processed foods and refined sugar (sugar commonly found in processed foods, including soda drinks, candies, canned fruits).
- Store between 15-30°C. Protect from light.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use febuxostat that is expired or out of date.