|Packaging Type||10 Tablets|
|Manufactured By||Healing Pharma|
Acarbose (Hibose 25) 25 mg tablet is used to treat Type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor that delays the absorption and digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Therefore it reduces the increase in blood glucose concentrations. It is given to patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, where oral hypoglycemic agents and diet modification do not control their condition.
Number of Pills Per Order = 10
Strength =25 mg
Manufacturer = Healing Pharma
How To Take
This medicine should be taken at the start of the meal with the first mouthful of food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Take Acarbose precisely as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Acarbose must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better.
Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Dosage of Acarbose (Hibose 25) 25 mg
For adults, the initial dose is 50 mg per day. It may be increased to 50 mg three times a day, if necessary, after 6-8 weeks, to 100 mg three times a day. Take at a maximum of 200 mg three times a day.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular dosing schedule. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know. Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
Overdose of Acarbose (Hibose 25) 25 mg
If you think you have used Acarbose more than the usual dose, please seek medical help immediately.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Acarbose:
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Colonic ulceration
- Partial intestinal obstruction or predisposition to this condition
- Chronic intestinal diseases associated withmarked disorders of digestion or absorption and state/s which may deteriorate as a result of increased gas formation in the intestine (e.g., larger hernias)
- Severe hepatic and renal impairment (CrCl <25 mL/min)
Acarbose may have the following side effects:
- Abdominal pain and distension
- Abnormal liver function tests
- Pneumatosis cystoidis intestinalis
- Rarely, ileus, jaundice, hepatitis, skin reactions and edema
- Fulminant hepatitis
Do not use Acarbose in people with the following conditions:
- Severe liver disease
- Colon disease
- Intestine disease
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking or using any of these medicines:
- Birth control pills
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements, and nonprescription medicines.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Acarbose.
How Does Acarbose (Hibose 25) 25 mg Work?
Acarbose reversibly and competitively inhibits intestinal αlpha-glucosidase and pancreatic αlpha-amylase, which results in delayed glucose absorption and hydrolysis of ingested complex carbohydrates and disaccharides. It also inhibits sucrose metabolism into dextrose and levulose, and dose-dependent reduction in postprandial blood glucose and insulin.
Acarbose is used to treat the following conditions:
- Type 2 Diabetes mellitus
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Stress (e.g., fever, trauma, infection, surgery)
- Mild to moderate hepatic and renal impairment
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Avoid alcohol
- Store below 25°C and protected from moisture.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Acarbose that is expired or out of date.