|Packaging Size||10 Tablets|
|Type of Medicines||Allopathic|
Losartan Potassium (Cozartan-100) 100 mg tablet is an angiotensin II receptor blocker used to treat hypertension. It is also be used to treat other conditions such as heart failure and kidney disease in diabetic patients with high blood pressure. It may also be used to reduce stroke volume in patients with left ventricular hypertrophy.
Drug = Losartan Potassium
Number of Pills Per Order = 10
Strength = 100 Mg
Manufacturer = Healing Pharma
How To Take
This medicine may be taken with or without food. Try to take it at the same time each day.
Losartan is available as a tablet or oral suspension.
If you are taking the tablet, swallow it whole.
If you are taking an oral suspension or syrup, shake the bottle well before you take it to ensure that the liquid is evenly mixed. Use the measuring spoon or cup provided to measure out your prescribed dose.
Losartan must be taken regularly for it to be effective. Continue taking this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take Losartan precisely as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Adult: Hypertension: 50 mg daily. Dosage is individualized and may be increased to 100 mg once daily according to clinical response.
Patients with intravascular volume depletion: Initially, 25 mg daily.
Diabetic nephropathy in Type 2 diabetes mellitus: Initial: 50 mg daily, may increase to 100 mg daily, depending on blood pressure response.
Heart failure: Initial: 12.5 mg daily, may titrate dose at weekly intervals. The maximum dose is 150 mg daily.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing schedule. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
Signs of overdose may include the following:
- Bradycardia (may occur from parasympathetic stimulation)
Seek medical help immediately.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Losartan Potassium:
- Concomitant use with aliskiren-containing products in patients with diabetes mellitus or renal impairment (GFR <60 mL/min)
- Severe hepatic impairment
- Pregnancy (2nd-3rd trimester).
Losartan Potassium may have the following side effects:
- Renal failure
- Renal insufficiency
- symptomatic hypotension (in volume- or Na-depleted patients)
- Rarely, angioedema
- Chest pain
- Atrial fibrillation
- Increase in serum creatinine
- Back pain
- Cerebrovascular accident
- Sleep disorder
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Nasal congestion
- Orthostatic hypotension
Do not use Losartan in people with the following conditions:
- Severe liver disease
- Children below six years old
- 2nd or 3rd trimester of pregnancy
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- Mefenamic acid
- Potassium supplements
inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements, and non-prescription medicines.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Losartan.
How Does It Work?
Losartan is a competitive angiotensin II receptor antagonist that selectively blocks AT1 receptors found in many tissues, thereby reducing the vasoconstricting and aldosterone-secreting effects of angiotensin II. It is less likely to be associated with non-renin-angiotensin effects due to the lack of effect on the response to bradykinin.
Losartan Potassium is used to treat the following conditions:
- Diabetic nephropathy in Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Heart failure
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patient with a history of angioedema
- Volume- and/or sodium-depletion
- Heart failure
- Unstented unilateral/bilateral renal artery stenosis
- Aortic or mitral stenosis
- Black race
- Renal impairment and mild to moderate hepatic impairment
- Children and the elderly
- Avoid alcohol
- Cut down on your salt intake. This may help lower your blood pressure and improve your overall health. Speak to your doctor or dietitian about ways to cut down on your salt intake.
- Store at 25°C. Protect from light.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Losartan that is expired or out of date.