Cefixime (Hifi 200 mg) 200mg tablet is an antibiotic used to treat certain bacterial infections. The antibacterial effect of cefixime results from inhibition of mucopeptide synthesis in the bacterial cell wall.
Number of Pills Per Order = 10
Strength = 200 mg
Manufacturer = Healing Pharma
How To Take
This medicine may be taken with or without food. Take with main meals or with a glass of milk to reduce stomach discomfort.
This medicine is available as a tablet. Swallow it whole with a full glass of water. Do not divide, chew, or crush it.
Take Cefixime at regular intervals. Do not skip any doses. You must complete the entire course of this medicine. If you don’t, the infection will not be appropriately controlled.
Take Cefixime precisely as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Dosage of Cefixime (Hifi 200 mg.) 200mg
Adult: 200-400 mg/day as a single or in 2 divided doses for 7-14 days, depending on the severity of the infection.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular dosing schedule. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
Overdose of Cefixime (Hifi 200 mg.) 200mg
Signs of overdose may include the following:
- Encephalopathy characterized by confusion
- Impaired consciousness
- Movement disorders and convulsions
Seek medical help immediately.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Cefixime:
- Hypersensitivity to cephalosporins, penicillins or any beta-lactam antibiotics
Cefixime may have the following side effects:
- Encephalopathy including convulsions
- Impaired consciousness and movement disorders (in a patient with renal impairment)
- Bacterial or fungal superinfection
- Decreased prothrombin activity.
- Abdominal pain
- Face edema
- Serum sickness-like reaction
- Increased liver function tests
- Elevated BUN, serum bilirubin and creatinine
- Genital pruritus
- Drug-induced hemolytic anemia
- Acute renal failure including tubulointerstitial nephritis
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea
- Pseudomembranous colitis
- Severe cutaneous reactions such as toxic epidermal necrolysis Stevens-Johnson syndrome, drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS)
- Anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions including shock
Do not use Cefixime in people with the following conditions:
- Allergic reaction to Cefixime or any other similar antibiotics such as cefalexin, cefuroxime, and other cephalosporin antibiotics.
- Allergic to penicillin antibiotics, for example, amoxicillin, ampicillin, and cloxacillin.
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements, and nonprescription medicines.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Cefixime.
How Does Cefixime (Hifi 200 mg.) 200mg Work?
Cefixime is a third generation cephalosporin that binds to one or more of the penicillin-binding proteins (PBPs), which inhibits the final transpeptidation step peptidoglycan synthesis in the bacterial cell wall, thus inhibiting biosynthesis and arresting cell wall assembly resulting in bacterial cell lysis and death.
Cefixime is used to treat the following conditions:
- Susceptible infections
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patient with history of cephalosporin-associated haemolytic anemia
- Gastrointestinal disease
- Hypersensitivity to penicillins and other beta-lactam antibiotics
- Renal impairment
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Avoid alcohol
- Store between 20-25°C.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use cefixime that is expired or out of date.