Amoxicillin + Clavulanate (Augmine 375) 875/ 125 mg tablet is a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid. Amoxicillin is an antibacterial drug used to treat certain bacterial infections, while clavulanic acid has an additive effect, which helps amoxicillin improve its effectiveness and antibacterial activity.
Drug =Amoxycillin + Clavulanate
Strength =250/ 125 mg
Manufacturer = Healing Pharma
How To Take
This medicine may be taken with or without food. It is best to take it at the start of a meal. It will help improve the absorption and minimize any stomach discomfort that might occur.
Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid is available as an oral tablet.
If you are taking the delayed-release, prolonged-release, sustained-release, or extended-release type of tablet (may be labeled “ER”), swallow it whole. Do not divide, chew, or crush the tablet.
Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid must be taken at regular intervals for it to be effective. Continue to take this medicine even when you feel better. Do not stop taking it unless instructed by the doctor.
Take Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not skip any doses. You must complete the entire course of antibiotics. If you don’t, the infection will not clear completely.
Dosage of Amoxicillin + Clavulanate (Augmine 375) 875/ 125 mg
For adults, the dosage is based on amoxicillin base.
Susceptible infections, respiratory tract infections, infected animal bites, and Melioidosis are 250-500 mg 8 hourly or 500-875 mg 12 hours.
Dental abscesses: 3 g as a single dose, repeated once after 8 hours.
Acute uncomplicated UTI: 3 g as a single dose, repeated once after 10-12 hours.
Severe or recurrent respiratory tract infections: 3 g twice a day.
Prophylaxis of endocarditis: 2 or 3 g as a single dose to be taken 1 hour before a dental procedure.
Tonsillitis, pharyngitis: As extended-release preparation: 775 mg daily for 10 days.
Eradication of H. Pylori associated with peptic ulcer disease: 750 mg or 1,000 mg twice a day, or 500 mg three times a day. To be taken with metronidazole, clarithromycin, or a proton pump inhibitor.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular dosing schedule. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
Overdose of Amoxicillin + Clavulanate (Augmine 375) 875/ 125 mg
Signs of overdose may include the following:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms
- Fluid and electrolyte imbalances
- Crystalluria and interstitial nephritis may lead to renal failure
Seek medical help immediately.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Amoxicillin+Clavulanic acid:
- Hypersensitivity to penicillins
- History of severe immediate hypersensitivity reaction to another beta-lactam agent (e.g., cephalosporins, carbapenem or monobactam)
- History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with amoxicillin
- Clavulanic acid therapy
- Amoxicillin+Clavulanic acid may have the following side effects:
- Diarrhea/loose stools
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea
- Pseudomembranous colitis
- Skin rashes
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
Do not use Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid in people with the following conditions:
- History of allergic reactions to penicillin antibiotics and cephalosporin antibiotics
- Liver disease
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- Mycophenolate mofetil
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements, and nonprescription medicines.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid.
How Does Amoxicillin + Clavulanate (Augmine 375) 875/ 125 mg Work?
Clavulanic acid exhibits a high affinity in binding to certain beta-lactamases, which generally inactivates amoxicillin by hydrolyzing its beta-lactam ring. Clavulanate is used in combination with amoxicillin to extend the antibacterial spectrum of amoxicillin to many bacteria, normally resistant to amoxicillin and other penicillins and cephalosporins.
- Susceptible infections,Respiratory tract infections, infected animal bites, melioidosis
- Acute uncomplicated UTI
- Severe or recurrent respiratory tract infections
- Prophylaxis of endocarditis
- Tonsillitis, pharyngitis
- Eradication of H. Pylori associated withpeptic ulcer disease
- Susceptible infection
- Prophylaxis of surgical infections
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Renal and hepatic impairment
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Avoid alcohol
- Store at or below 25°C
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Store reconstituted oral suspension in the refrigerator, between 2-8°C. Do not allow it to If frozen, this medicine will become ineffective and should not be used. Throw away any unused portion according to the product recommendations.
- Do not use Amoxicillin + clavulanic acid that is expired or out of date.