Orlistat (Slimtop-60) 60 mg mg capsules is used in the treatment of obesity, including weight loss and weight maintenance. It may also be used in overweight individuals who have diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels. Its primary function is preventing the fat absorption from the human diet, thereby reducing caloric intake.
Number of Pills Per Order = 10
Strength = 60 mg
Manufacturer = Healing Pharma
How To Take
This medicine should be taken before, during or up to 1 hour after each main meal. Swallow the capsule whole with a glass of water. Try to make it at the same time each day.
If you have missed a meal or if the meal contains no fat, you may not take that particular dose.
Take Orlistat precisely as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Dosage of Orlistat (Slimtop-60) 60 mg
Adult: Patients with BMI ≥30 mg/m2 or ≥27 kg/m2 with associated risk factors (hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia): 120 mg three times a day with each main meal.
Patients with BMI ≥28 kg/m2 irrespective of any risk factors: 60 mg three times a day. Omit dose if a meal is missed or contains no fat. Discontinue if the patient is unable to lose at least 5% of the body weight during the 1st 12 weeks of therapy—all doses given in conjunction with a mildly hypocaloric diet.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing schedule. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
Overdose of Orlistat (Slimtop-60) 60 mg
If you think you may have used Orlistat more than the usual dose, please seek medical help immediately.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Orlistat:
- Cholestasis and chronic malabsorption syndrome
- Pregnancy and lactation
Orlistat may have the following side effects:
- Rectal bleeding
- Decreased prothrombin and increased INR
- Oxalate nephropathy that may lead to renal failure
- Oily spotting
- Flatus with discharge
- Fecal urgency and incontinence
- Fatty/oily stool
- Oily evacuation
- Soft or liquid stools
- Abdominal pain
- Increased defaecation
- Rectal discomfort
- Abdominal distension (patient with type 2 diabetes)
- Tooth and gingival disorder
- Hypersensitivity reactions (e.g. anaphylaxis, bronchospasm, angioedema, pruritus, rash, urticaria)
- Increased transaminases and alkaline phosphatase
- Hypoglycemia (patient with type 2 diabetes)
- Pedal edema
- Back or leg pain
- Menstrual irregularity
- Upper and lower respiratory infection
- Bullous eruption
- Severe liver injury with hepatocellular necrosis or acute hepatic failure and hepatitis
Do not use Orlistat in people with the following conditions:
- Chronic malabsorption syndrome
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any of these medicines:
- Other weight loss products
- Fat-soluble vitamins (vitamins A, D, E and K).
- Birth control pills
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and non-prescription medicines.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Orlistat.
How Does Orlistat (Slimtop-60) 60 mg Work?
Orlistat reversibly blocks the gastrointestinal lipases, which inhibits dietary fat absorption by forming a covalent bond with the active serine residue site of the gastric and pancreatic lipases within the lumen of the stomach and small intestine, thereby preventing the hydrolysis of dietary fat in the form of triglycerides into absorbable free fatty acids and monoglycerides.
Orlistat is used to treat the following conditions:
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patients with diabetes
- Thyroid disease
- Anorexia nervosa
- History of hyperoxaluria or calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis
- Renal and hepatic impairment
- Avoid alcohol
- It is essential to adhere to the dietary guidelines recommended by your doctor to maximize the benefits of Orlistat. Avoid over-consumption of fat and calories by distributing your daily fat, carbohydrate and protein intake evenly over three main meals. Avoid the consumption of fatty foods between meals.
- Store below 25°C. Protect from light and moisture.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Orlistat that is expired or out of date.