Griseofulvin (Grisoheal 250) 250 mg tablet is an antifungal drug used to treat ringworm infections of the scalp, hair, skin, and nails such as tinea infections.
Drug = Griseofulvin
Strength = 250 mg
Manufacturer = Healing Pharma
How To Take
This medicine should be taken immediately after meals.
This medicine must be taken at regular intervals. Continue to take Griseofulvin even when you feel better.
Do not skip any doses. You must complete the entire course of medicine. If you don’t, the infection will not be appropriately controlled.
Take Griseofulvin precisely as directed by your doctor according to the instructions on the label. Do not take more than instructed by your doctor.
Adult: 0.5-1 g/day in single or divided doses. Treatment duration: 2-8 weeks (hair and skin infections); up to 6 months (fingernail infections); 12 months and above (toenail infections).
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing schedule. If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
If you think you may have used Griseofulvin more than the usual dose, please immediately seek medical help.
People with the following medical conditions should not take Griseofulvin:
- Hypersensitivity to Griseofulvin
- SLE and porphyria
- Severe liver disease
- Hepatocellular failure
Griseofulvin may have the following side effects:
- Skin rashes
- Dry mouth
- Taste alteration
- Leucopenia and other blood dyscrasias
- Oral candidiasis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Impaired coordination
- Exacerbation of SLE
- Severe skin reactions (e.g., Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, erythema multiforme)
Do not use Griseofulvin in people with the following conditions:
- Severe liver disease
- The systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus)
- Allergic reaction
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking or using any of these medicines:
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements, and non-prescription medicines.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Griseofulvin.
How Does It Work?
Griseofulvin blocks the cell division of fungal cells at metaphase by disrupting its mitotic spindle structure. It binds to human keratin, making it resistant to fungal infections; and may also interfere with deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA).
Griseofulvin is used to treat the following conditions:
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Not intended for prevention of fungal infections
- Men should not father children w/in 6 monthsof treatment
- Avoid alcohol while on this medicine; otherwise, you may experience severe flushing, headache, nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps
- Store between 15-30°C.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children. Protect from light.
- The oral suspension can be stored at room temperature of up to 30°C; do not freeze.
- Do not use Griseofulvin that is expired or out of date.